Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

03 April, 2007

The Obit

I just found this article about my aunt Emma at the utv site.

On another website I found her story, which is also in a book I own about women from the north of Ireland. This was written in 1995 I believe.


It was on the 4th November 1971 and the British
Army was in the district raiding houses. It was in
the early hours of the morning, which was the
normal time when they raided houses. All my
children had to be taken from their beds and as
I'm the mother of 11 children, the youngest at the
time was 5 years of age. It was very annoying and
upsetting for the children to sit and watch the
British Army ransack their home and pull
everything apart.
They had been arresting some men in the street and
one of those arrested was a neighbour of mine. He
was the father of 4 young children and his wife
was in a very distressed state. I left my house
and went to comfort her. I made some tea, got the
children dressed and gave her a tablet to try and
settle her down. I tried to assure her that her
husband would only be held a few hours. As it
turned out he was held for several years. I heard
someone shout that the paratroopers were coming
into the district so I returned to my home.
Everyone in the area was put under house arrest
which meant a soldier was put in every doorway and
no one was allowed in or out. The paratroopers
were in a very aggressive mood and were pulling
young men and boys from their homes, some in just
their bare feet, some with just their shirts and
trousers on.
I had pulled up my venetian blind and was looking
out the window and what I saw was very
frustrating. I didn't know whether to scream or
cry. The very last thing I ever saw was a young
man having his head banged off a Saracen. I told
my teenage daughter, "For God's sake, put on a
record to boost our morale". She put on "Four
Green Fields" and it had only been playing a few
minutes when a paratrooper stepped in front of my
window and fired directly into my face. This
happened in front of my children who were by this
time in hysterics. I was later told my face was in
a terrible state and the blood was everywhere. My
husband threw a towel over my face and tried to
get me out to the car to get me to hospital. One
of my neighbours from across the street ran out to
help and the soldiers threatened to shoot him. He
told them to go ahead but was going to help me no
matter what. They at first refused to let us leave
the district but my husband pulled the towel away
to show the terrible injuries and they finally let
us go.
At the hospital my eyes were so badly damaged they
had to be removed. I now wear artificial eyes and
had to receive plastic surgery to build up the
bridge of my nose. After my eyes were removed, my
family couldn't bring themselves to tell me I
would never see again. Mother Theresa of Calcutta
was in Belfast at that time and it was her who
came to my bedside and told me my eyes had been
removed. I went into very deep depression and just
wanted to die for when you are the mother of 11
children and a very active person it was very hard
to accept.
I was taken home and remained in my bedroom for a
very long time. My oldest daughter was taken out
of school and had to be mother and housekeeper to
the rest of the family. Eventually, after a lot of
help and prayers, I realised I would have to come
to terms with my blindness. It was very hard. I
missed seeing the children's faces and the colour
of the trees and flowers and going out for walks
doing the shopping.
The rubber bullet which had shot me was then
replaced with the plastic bullet and many children
were being killed and injured. I decided I would
have to get involved in trying to have these
lethal weapons banned, so I joined the United
Campaign Against Plastic Bullets. With other
members I have travelled the world to tell people
my story and enlist their support in our campaign.
I received compensation for my injuries but to
this day I couldn't tell you the name of the
soldier who shot me. He was never prosecuted and I
never received the justice I desperately wanted,
for him to appear in court and tell me why he
shattered my life that day.
To date 17 people have been killed with rubber and
plastic bullets, 8 of them school children and
hundreds more severely injured. Over £1,000,000
has been paid out in compensation but only one
member of the security forces has ever been
charged in connection with the deaths and injuries
and he was acquitted.
Plastic bullets are still being used in Northern
Ireland and have been fired on several occasions
since the cease-fire.

18 comments:

Tilly said...

I've found your blog by following random links on other peoples blogs and have been reading for the last couple of days.

Your Great Aunt sounds like a remarkable woman, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Beccy said...

Emma what a horrific story and to think that this has happened in my lifetime.

I've only ever crossed the border twice and both times felt very uncomfortable with the outwards signs of patriotism on both sides of the border. You don't find that kind of patriotic fervour here and I've always been made to feel more than welcome (my Mum worried about me living here) and only hope that the steps being made towards peace continue, then the guns can be put away for good (I thought they already had been) and the people of this Ireland can live in peace without mindless violence.

Wendy said...

I am so sorry for your loss! What a wonderful woman!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Emma, bloody hell.
I can't read your blog from work, everyone wants to know why I'm crying.
What an amazing woman, I can't believe how horrific humans can be to each other.

Boliath said...

I knew of your Great Aunt Emma when I lived there, I didn't know you at the time of course. She was a fantastic woman, did a lot of good for a lot of people and I'm sorry for your loss.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Wow! Your great aunt sounds like an amazing woman, just amazing! I don't think alot is heard about fighting in Ireland. Too much focus in put on the Middle East. But it is still there. How sad that she lost her vision, but how wonderful that she embraced it and used her disablility to fight for others!

JG said...

What an awful story but what an amazing woman...

United Irelander said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Emma. Your aunt was obviously a very courageous woman to not only endure all that but to try and bring about change as a result of it.

my4kids said...

Wow what a story to pass down though. I mean it is sad that she lost her vision but she pulled up from it and found to end it that is a great thing for her children to tell.
Sorry to hear about her loss though.

ChrisB said...

Emma you must be so proud of your aunt Emma what a brave lady who turned her tradegy into a triumph. I only hope the recent agreements between the political parties in NI will see an end to all hostilities for ever so that everyone can live in peace and harmony.

Jay said...

What an amazing story; thanks for sharing.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

What a horrific story... and again, sorry for your loss. Anyone can see that she was a very, very strong woman.

random_mommy said...

whoa.
whoa.

Brown Eyed Girl said...

That is an amazing story.

Such a good cause too.

I can't imagine what life would be like living in a war zone like that.

Paige said...

I am so sorry for your loss Emma

Bernard (ben) Tremblay said...

I just happen to have a plastic bullet right here *taps the beastly thing*, on the bookshelf by my desk. And it's plastic ... with a metal interior shank ... deff not rubber.

NIreland? No ... Quebec City, during the protest against FTAA. In the middle of a riot? No ... at 2AM, while I was standing alone keeping a key intersecion open for a med-evac. It was fired at my chest.

A funny thing about our physiology: it's evolved adaptiviely i.e. what works succeeds; had I been looking at the squad of robo-cops I likely would have gotten nailed, but I had turned my head to keep an eye on a clot of demonstrators who might move onto the road, so when it was fired I caught it out the corner of my eye ... the part that's most sensitive in the detection of motion. I dodged it. Impossible, it would seem, but I swiveled on my heels as though turning to take a back-hand in tennis and it swooshed past me at heart-level, bouncing to a stop down the street. I glared and the cops then jogged over to claim my prize. Meh.

regards

p.s. I found your blog through a map ... handy stuff, community!
:-)

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how traumatic it must have been for the children to witness that.

Anonymous said...

I remember the incident and met this remarkable woman a few times.
A sad loss.