Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

26 August, 2007

Fun Monday and the book swap

Lisa is hosting this weeks Fun Monday and this is what she says:

I’d like to know more about you, what makes you tick. I’d like to know how you started blogging. Did you keep a diary under lock and key safely hidden as a child? Do you still? Do you share the same things on your blog that you would have, or do, in your diary? Why did you start blogging and why do you continue? May as well throw in any roadblocks you have run into while blogging. If you still have your old diaries we’d love to see them.

My old diaries and the corny poetry I wrote in junior high were all thrown away the day I moved out with my boyfriend when I was 19. I didn't need him reading that stuff. I should have known right then and there that we would never work out. If you can't trust your partner with your innermost secret thoughts from when you were 12 and 13 then you have a serious problem.

I started keeping a diary when I was about 9. I remember that diary well, it was one of those ones with a page for a day. It was fairly thick, but quite tiny. It had one of those locks that don't really lock. It was one of the gifts in my stocking. Here is quite possibly what it may have said (true story here!):

"Dear Diary,
Today in the line up when recess was over, Tony pulled my pants down. Everyone laughed because I was wearing underwear with 3 elephants on them. I went into the bathroom and cried"

God damn Tony Es.pirito. I've never gotten over that. Oh, and he used to call me stink bomb. God, he was mean to me.

I was not a faithful diarist, but I did always have a diary off and on until I was 21 and then, for reasons not to be mentioned, that final diary was thrown away. I meant to keep a journal when I went to Ireland in 2001, but I wrote in it exactly once. Before I left. I do still have a diary, two actually, tucked away in my pajama drawer. I started reading about blogs and in 2005 my first blog was born. It has exactly one entry and then I couldn't log onto it again and this blog was started. And here we are 2 years later. Today, this is my journal, it has been Saoirse and Sophie's baby record books and has even been a photo album, since I haven't printed a picture in ages.

Last week I wrote a post over at My 4 Kids saying what blogging has meant to me and being the lazy arse I am I will copy it here, with apologies to those of you who read it last week.

I started blogging just over 2 years ago. I was going to blog about motherhood, but my blog turned into my very own cheap brand of therapy, with a whole lot of fantastic people playing psychiatrists or just offering me a "Hey, I've been there and you will get through this." My house may be a little messier, but my sanity? That girl is intact. Mostly.

I have said before that I like my blogger friends better than the majority of my daily life friends. You are the people I tell about the troubles with my oldest daughter, who at 12 drives me absolutely mad. It is you that I sometimes tell about the fights with my partner. While I write for myself, I also write with the hope that someone will read my blog and know how I am feeling, or be sympathetic to what's been going on. Every once in a while a good kick in the ass works wonders too.

Once upon a time, I read a blog post that discussed whether or not bloggers could be considered friends. At the time, I thought "Maybe." Now, I think "Definitely!" No, I may not know most of you in person (although I was lucky enough to meet a blogger last week) and I may never have the opportunity to meet you (unless I win the lottery- then you're all invited to my new house for my very own mini blogher) but you are most definitely my friends. Surely a stranger would not send your daughter a gift for her birthday? A stranger would not send you an email telling you things she is not ready to put into her own blog. A stranger may tell you what you want to hear, but it is your friends who tell you what you need to hear.

So I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the wonderful ladies (and a few fellas!) that I have met on this journey. I really do adore you all.


What I had meant to mention in that post was that the girl who asked whether or not bloggers could be considered friends said no, that they weren't. When she turned off her computer she didn't give another thought to the bloggers she had just read. I am the opposite. I wonder about how things are going with you, there are tons of you that I would love to ring up and have a chat with, I talk about you about other people. I wish you were all on facebook (hint, hint.) There have been a few bloggers that have clsed their blogs and I quite often wonder what happened to them and how they are.

Hmmm...not so sure I actually answered that Fun Monday question.

-------------------

Remember you have until Wednesday to sign up for the book swap! There are currently 20 people, though I am still waiting for addresses from 3 of you. For those of you who didn't read the other post, you simply have to send a book you have read and enjoyed or a book by a local author to the blogger you get. Or you can send a book to their child(ren) or both. Whatever catches your fancy. I did have the mail by date as Wednesday, September 5th but I think I am going to move it forwarda week as I completely forgot that we Canadians return to school on the Tuesday and I, for one, cannot think about more than one project! Those of you who have been reading me for anything longer than 2 weeks should know this to be very, very true!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm like you, I think about the bloggers I read when I'm offline. Something funny will happen and I'll think "She would have really liked t hat!" of "Boy, that would have sure pissed her off!".

I want to meet everyone in person, to go to their kids birthday parties, to attend their baby showers.

Does that sound needy as hell? Oh, well. It is what it is!

la bellina mammina said...

I agree with you. I think about my blogger friends too. When I'm away, I wonder if you guys think about me and wonder about what's happening with all of you.

Btw, I'm already on facebook;-), so there!

katy said...

i love all my blogging buddies, i think off them and wish i could meet them all!

Beccy said...

Emma I fell in love with you when I read your first post. I love your honesty and how you lay it all on the line without seeming to give a damn. I definitely consider other bloggers to be friends and worry about them or rejoice with them. Still haven't got into facebook yet though!

willowtree said...

There are some bloggers who I would consider friends, and I do think about them off-line.

Funny that you mention the bloggers who quit, I used to keep their bookmarks (firefox) in a folder, but there just got to be too many of them. Sometimes they just give their reasons, say goodbye and disappear and sometimes it's cryptic and shrouded in mystery and yet other times they just stop.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was me...

Anonymous said...

Emma, I just love reading your blog. I'm never disappointed because it's like hunkering down with a friend for a long gab - cup 'o coffee ready in my hand (along with a fag in my mouth - in my case). LOL.

Chastity said...

I don't do much w/ it, but I AM on Facebook :).

Anonymous said...

I think you are one of those truly honest people who doesn't feel the need to sugar coat. You call it like you see & feel it. And, it's refreshing.

ChrisB said...

emma I think I probably found you via beccy (can't remember now) I often chat to embee about different blogger and I certainly do with beccy. Like you and WT I wonder and worry why some people stop overnight without warning and I have gone back and left subsequent comments, but you can't do that when the link has been closed.

Loved the ' dear diary' entry funny now but mortifying at a young age!!

Julie said...

I so want in on the book swap - I will email you asap.

And I HATE Tony Es.prito and the likes of him. In my case his name was BJ and he was an ass to everyone and anyone who wouldn't fight back. I know my BJ is working as a pizza shop - sweet revenge! : )

And I so think about my blogging friends in everyday life.

Beckie said...

You are refreshing to read - honest and straight forward.

Damn that Tony! Mine was a kid named Jimmy. I think I might do a post on that little bastard - I still have bad feelings for him.

Kaytabug said...

ok you teared me up girl! "but it is your friends who tell you what you need to hear." But I very emotional lately. Anywway...I loved your post!

I am the same way in wondering how everyone is whats up/whats going on etc.

I am lucky to have a guy I can trust with my innermost 10yr old thoughts! Which are nothing more than my first boy crush!!! ha ha!

Anonymous said...

A blogger I visit just stopped for some reason. Gave no explanation - just deleted the blog. Ssstrange I say. At least have a good-bye post up for a week or so before you delete. :)

Love your blog, and damn Tony Es.pirito. Stupid boys.

Hey! i just recently joined Facebook. I didn't even really know what it was but I kept getting invites.

Anonymous said...

I so believe that bloggers can be friends. I know more about my blogger friends than I know about a lot of my real life friends, because I think as mamas, we tend to treat our blogs like a diary. It's a place where we're open and talk about everything, the good, the bad and the ugly, which most of us won't do with most people (if anyone) in the real world!

And I do worry like crazy when people go missing, like that time you stopped blogging for a week or so. I didn't have your email address at the time and every day I wondered "how's Emma doing? has she blogged an update?" Which I totally am not saying to make you feel guilty, it's just the only example I can think of off the top of my head of someone you know as well (assuming that you know yourself, of course...)

Anonymous said...

ahh yes I remember the mean kids only to well.. blast there hides. i think you pretty much answered the question!!

Anonymous said...

Emma, you are so right. I actually thought about you last night (your book swap!) while doing laundry. Specifically, I was wishing I had more time this semester and could do something so fun.

My blogging community has been one of the main ways I've made it through this move. It really sidetracked the feelings of loneliness.

Unknown said...

I see fellow bloggers as friends and I don't stop thinking about them when I turn off the computer either. I wonder about them and am still wondering what Harrison was doing on that ladder and waiting for that post. :)

alisonwonderland said...

i don't think i've visited here before, but i'm on my 3rd week of "fun monday" - and i'm having a lot of fun with it.

i completely agree that blogging friends are real friends! we had a similar discussion at the online game i play (here), where some people said that blokus friends aren't real friends. but i disagree! i have some very nice blogging and blokus friends! :)

Anonymous said...

It is true - I wonder about my fellow bloggers - and when I haven't seen them post in a while I get really worried. Some, I know are just busy - but I always hope that there wasn't a tragedy in their life.

Oh - I signed up for the book swap, don't know if I gave you my e-mail addy:

karhix at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

It's funny how you connect with certain bloggers and consider them friends even though you have never met.

It's a great community that non-bloggers just don't "get"

Anonymous said...

I'm 'learning' bloggers can indeed be friends. And I can't join the book swap because I was late with my last swap I participated in. It's just a rule I have for myself. I'm weird like that. The person should have her package any day now, and if I hear from her before your deadline, I will definitely join. Will let you know.

Molly said...

Great insight, "I should have known right then and there that we would never work out. If you can't trust your partner with your innermost secret thoughts from when you were 12 and 13 then you have a serious problem." Too bad you threw out those memories that were a little piece of you. But now you have another avenue for keeping your memories. You have your blog and Facebook.

Robocop said...

I do not have that many blogging buddies yet. But from what I have seen, I like the people I have encountered in the blogging world.

That Chick Over There said...

I'm so worried about how I will act while on vacation in October. No laptop! No updates! BLAH!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I completely agree! I consider other bloggers my friends and I wonder about them when they post about something that's going on whether it's bad or good.

frannie said...

how could you not consider bloggers friends??? that really disturbed me that someone said that. I think about other bloggers all the time. and talk about them all the time, too!

theotherbear said...

I can't believe Tony pulled down your pants. What a meanie.

alissa said...

Yet another terrific response from you! Bloggers as friends... interesting. I've never actually thought of other bloggers as such, but now that you mention it... I DO find myself talking about those I read on a regular basis, and I DO think about them after I log off, particularly when they're in turmoil. BUT, on the same token, it's different when I don't actually know their names... I know you know what I mean cuz you've mentioned it before - it just doesn't seem as "real" as it should or could.

Okay, now I'm babbling.

But I'm also your TWENTY EIGHTH COMMENT!!!!

Pamela said...

I'm with you. Most often i read something and want to come back and find out what happened. Or else I have had something similar happen and want to encourage.