Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

06 December, 2005

Bono...bugger off for a change.

I think I have said before, in one of my very first posts, that I actually do like U2. I really do. But if I have to listen to Bono go on and on about Canada committing 0.7% of its GDP to eliminating global poverty I am going to seriously consider banning U2 CDs from my house. And yes, I do realize that would have absolutely no impact on the millions of dollars that U2 brings home every year. But it might make me happy.

Bono has said that he expects Paul Martin to suffer at the polls come January, due to this very issue. I don't know what poll he is quoting from but most Canadians I know are not as concerned with eliminating global poverty as they are with eliminating poverty in their own backyards, along with a number of other concerns from health care and education, to gun control and gay marriage. I have not seen one person on TV nor have I talked to anyone who has said they will not vote for Paul Martin because he did not meet the goal of 0.7.

This does not mean I am against eliminating poverty in African countries or anywhere else, not at all. I am completely for it, but not necessarily by this 0.7%. How about proper trade? One of Paul Martin's concerns is that the money will not find its way to the people who need it most, but to war lords and corrupt governments. I also believe that a government's first responsibility is to its own people.

Sixteen years ago, all parties in the House of Commons agreed to seek to eliminate child poverty in Canada by 2000. In 2005, 1.2 million (1 in every 6) children in Canada live in poverty. That is disgraceful. It is the government of Canada's job, be they a left or right party, to take care of Canada's children first and foremost.

That being said, I will still be voting for Paul Martin's Liberal party on January 23rd. I eagerly await the sign for my lawn. I will vote for the Liberals because I believe they are one of 2 parties who have a chance of forming a minority government (even I can't be overly optimistic and expect a majority.) This will be either the Liberals or the Conseratives..can't remember their new name..is it Progressive Conseratives? Am I even spelling conserative right? It looks all wrong. See, that's how much I avoid them, can't even spell the word. I like the NDP party but their chances are nil. I wouldn't vote Green if you paid me a million dollars (well, I would really, but not if you paid me ten) and I don't even have the option of voting for the Bloc since they are a Quebec only party.

Reality is I'll vote for them because I have voted for them every election since I became a Canadian citizen. I even voted for them while working for the National Party. Remember them, anyone? I really loved Mel Hurtig. Shame about the short existence.

5 comments:

Eric said...

You would shun Bono? But he's Bono!

Okay, my knowledge of Canadian politics is a little sparse, but I did watch the last election on C-SPAN a while ago, and found it to be quite interesting. Aren't Paul Martin and the Libs kind of screwed about now, what with the vote of "no confidence?" And what's the difference between the Libs and the Lib Dems, or are the Lib Dems more lib than the Libs? Did that make sense?

"Progressive Conservatives" That's funny, since no progressive I know would dare call himself a conservative, and vice versa.

Emma in Canada said...

I suppose you could say they are screwed, though I would say they aren't. They had a minority government for 18 months, a year longer than most people expected them to last. I think they'll get the same again.

We don't have Liberal Democrats, we have the NDP who are more left than the Liberals who are more left than the Conservatives, who are just plain crazy.

Eric said...

Oh, oops. I'm getting my international politics all mixed up it seems. Lib Dems must be the UK.

Emma in Canada said...

If I recall they have social democrats, that's who I voted for in my only British election.

Anonymous said...

I always felt that U2 were chasing the same customers as Simple Minds. Bono, Geldof and Mary Robinson, Ireland's holy trinity, are pretty simple-minded when they start on about economic and political matters.