Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

29 July, 2005

If I could have lived in another time....

........I would have chosen Ireland (but of course) during the 1916-22 period. Foolish, I know. William says why would you want to have lived in a time of murder and war? I am sure if I had actually lived in that period I would have hated it (along with my tenament slum), but knowing what we know now, wouldn't it have been exciting? Of course, this could all stem from my adoration of Michael Collins. It is strange to have a crush on a dead person, but I do. There is something so lovely about him. Even if he was a bit of a player. The good looking ones always are. I thought about this because I was thinking if he was alive he probably would have been very pleased about the IRA's statement. Course, if he hadn't have been fucked over by them in the first place, a united Ireland would have happened long ago. That's just my opinion. May very well be wrong.

This murder and war thing isn't just an Ireland obsession thing, when I was little I wanted to live in England during World War II. Hmmm, I really am a tad strange I think!

12 comments:

United Irelander said...

Would Collins' legacy have been so great though if he hadn't died so young? I recall an old teacher of mine telling me that he thought de Valera's place in history was tarnished by the fact he lived so long.

Emma in Canada said...

Yes, I think it would have,and perhaps would have been greater, as long as he had continued on in the way he ended. I think de Valera tarnished his place in history by what he did to Collins and Griffith.

United Irelander said...

emma,

Do you mean by opposing the Free State?

I actually have alot of respect for Dev. Especially for how he handled Ireland's neutrality during WW2. His speech in response to Churchill after Churchill attacked Ireland in one of his speeches was fantastic.

Emma in Canada said...

Didn't he send Collins to England knowing full well that Lloyd George would never agree to all of Ireland being free? He knew they would have to accept partition. And yet, he was willing to place all the blame on them. Doesn't that seem a bit cowardly?

United Irelander said...

Well Dev claimed that he explicitly told them not to sign anything without reporting back to him first. Alot of historians don't believe that and feel that, as you say, he knew the British would not give in and that Collins should take the blame.

However, the delegates could have turned down Lloyd George and they were the ones who made the decision to sign. I'm still not sure what I would have supported had I been alive at the time. Whether I would have supported those in favour of the treaty or those against...

Emma in Canada said...

That's a very good point and really, who is to know? It is astounding at how many different ways history can be written. I do recall reading that they were told this was their only chance to sign the treaty.

United Irelander said...

Apparently Lloyd George threatened "immediate and terrible war" if they did not sign. Personally I don't know if this would have happpened as the Americans would not have looked kindly on 'terrible war' for Irish people.

PS,

That's the speech I'm talking about yes. It's not even known by alot of Irish people but in my view it's one of the greatest speeches made by an Irishman in the 20th century. I dare say after Emmet's speech from the dock, it's the best ever made by an Irishman...

Emma in Canada said...

Ireland could not have been entirely of a neutral nature as they did allow Americans to refuel on Irish soil.

Americans may not have looked kindly on war for the Irish, but I don't think they yet had the power to step on British toes.

Catpee said...

I used to want to live in England in World War 2 as well when I was wee!! Although I would have seen plenty of air raids if I'd lived in Belfast in World War 2 as well. We got it pretty bad especially where I live.

Ireland would be the last place, I would choose to live in the past hehe. I'm not at all keen on potatoes and avoid them as much as I can. I would like to live in the Middle Ages, not quite sure where though, maybe Germany. In fact Emma, is an old German name dating from the middle ages.

There was a Queen Emma as well at one point. Anyway, I'm waffling haha

I certainly would rather live in any time in the past rather than now.

Emma in Canada said...

Yes, I think that you would have seen alot of air raids in Belfast. My granny was evacuated to the republic with her two oldest kids.

YI, there;s another example of Ireland not being entirely neutral!

United Irelander said...

"YI, there;s another example of Ireland not being entirely neutral!"

emma, I'm hardly someone who thinks Ireland was entirely neutral during WW2!

Emma in Canada said...

Well, I can see that now by a recent blog you have posted yourself, however in these comments you don't suggest anything else.